What this policy covers
Your privacy is important to us. This document outlines how we collect, use, and share information about you. This policy is intended to help you understand
- what information we collect about you;
- how we use information we collect;
- how we share information we collect;
- how we store and secure information we collect;
- how to access and control your information;
- how we transfer information we collect internationally;
- other important privacy information.
This policy also explains your choices about how we use information about you. Your choices include how you can object to certain uses of information about you and how you can access and update certain information about you. If you do not agree with this policy, do not access or use our Services or interact with any other aspect of our business.
Where we provide the Services under agreement with an organization such as your employer, that organization controls the information processed by the Services.
What information we collect about you
We collect information about you when you provide it to us, when you use our Services, and when other sources provide it to us, as further described below.
Information you provide to us
We collect information about you when you input it into the Services or otherwise provide it directly to us.
- Account and Profile Information: We collect information about you when you register for an account, create or modify your profile, set preferences, sign-up for or make purchases through the Services. For example, you provide your contact information and billing information when you register for the Services.
- Content you provide through our products: The Services include the BlockScore products you use, where we collect and store content you use in the course of using your BlockScore account. This content includes any information about you that you may choose to include.
- Content you provide through our websites: The Services also include our websites owned or operated by us including blockscore.com and cognitohq.com and subsites.
- Information you provide through our support channels: The Services also include our customer support, where you may choose to submit information regarding a problem you are experiencing with our Service. Whether you designate yourself as a technical contact, open a support ticket, speak to one of our representatives directly or otherwise engage with our support team, you will be asked to provide contact information, a summary of the problem you are experiencing, and any other documentation, screenshots, or information that would be helpful in resolving the issue.
- Payment Information: We may collect payment and billing information when you register for our Services. For example, we ask you to designate a billing representative, including name and contact information upon registration or contract fulfillment. You might also provide payment information, such as payment card details which we collect via secure payment processing services.
Information we collect automatically when you use the Services
We collect information about you when you use our Services, including browsing our websites and taking certain actions within the Services.
- Your use of the Services: We keep track of certain information about you when you visit and interact with any of our Services. This information includes the features you use, the links on which you click, attachments you upload to the Services, and how you interact with others on the Services.
- Device and Connection Information: We collect information about your computer, phone, tablet, or other devices you use to access the Services. This device information includes your connection type and settings when you install, access, update, or use our Services. We also collect information through your device about your operating system, browser type, IP address, URLs of referring pages, device identifiers, and analytics data. We use your IP address to approximate your location to provide you with a better Service experience. How much of this information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the Services.
Information we receive from other sources
We receive information about you from other Service users, from third-party services, from our related companies, and from our business and channel partners.
- Other users of the Services: Other users of our Services may provide information about you when they submit content through the Services. An administrator may provide your contact information when they designate you as the billing or technical contact on your company's account.
- BlockScore Partners: We work with partners who provide consulting, implementation, training and other services around our products. Some of these partners also help us to market and promote our products, generate leads for us, and resell our products. We receive information from these partners, such as billing information, billing and technical contact information, company name, and products in which you may be interested.
How we use information we collect
How we use the information we collect depends in part on which Services you use, how you use them, and any preferences you have communicated to us. Below are the specific purposes for which we use the information we collect about you.
To provide the Services and personalize your experience: We use information about you to provide the Services to you, including to process transactions with you, authenticate you when you log in, provide customer support, and operate and maintain the Services
To communicate with you about the Services, we use your contact information to send transactional communications via email and within the Services, including confirming your purchases, reminding you of subscription expirations, responding to your support requests.
To market and promote the Services, we use your contact information and information about how you use the Services to send communications that may be of specific interest to you, including by email and by displaying BlockScore ads on other companies' websites and applications, as well as on platforms like Facebook and Google. These communications are aimed at driving engagement and maximizing what you get out of the Services, including information about new features and related services.
For Customer support, we use your information to resolve technical issues you encounter, to respond to your requests for assistance, to analyze information, and to repair and improve the Services.
For safety and security, we use information about you and your Service use to verify accounts and activity, to monitor suspicious or fraudulent activity and to identify violations of Service policies.
To protect our legitimate business interests and legal rights, where required by law or where we believe it is necessary to protect our legal rights, interests and the interests of others, we use information about you in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory, and audit functions, and disclosures in connection with the acquisition, merger or sale of a business.
With your consent, we use information about you where you have given us consent to do so for a specific purpose not listed above. For example, we may publish testimonials or featured customer stories to promote the Services, with your permission.
Legal bases for processing (for EEA users):
If you are an individual in the European Economic Area (EEA), we collect and process information about you only where we have legal bases for doing so under applicable EU laws. The legal bases depend on the Services you use and how you use them. This means we collect and use your information only where:
- We need it to provide you the Services, including to operate the Services, provide customer support and personalized features and to protect the safety and security of the Services;
- It satisfies a legitimate interest which is not overridden by your data protection interests, such as for research and development, to market and promote the Services and to protect our legal rights and interests;
- You give us consent to do so for a specific purpose; or
- We need to process your data to comply with a legal obligation.
If you have consented to our use of information about you for a specific purpose, you have the right to change your mind at any time, but this will not affect any processing that has already taken place. Where we are using your information because we or a third party such as your employer have a legitimate interest to do so, you have the right to object to that use though, in some cases, this may mean no longer using the Services.
How we share information we collect
We share information we collect about you in the ways discussed below, including in connection with possible business transfers, but we are not in the business of selling information about you to advertisers or other third parties.
Sharing with other Service users
When you use the Services, we share certain information about you with other Service users.
Managed accounts and administrators: If you register or access the Services using an email address with a domain that is owned by your employer or organization, and such organization wishes to establish an account or site, certain information about you including your name, profile picture, contact info, content and past use of your account may become accessible to that organization’s administrator and other Service users sharing the same domain. If you are an administrator for a particular site or group of users within the Services, we may share your contact information with current or past Service users, for the purpose of facilitating Service-related requests.
Sharing with third parties
We share information with third parties that help us operate, provide, improve, integrate, customize, support and market our Services.
- Service Providers: We work with third-party service providers to provide website and application development, hosting, maintenance, backup, storage, virtual infrastructure, payment processing, analysis and other services for us, which may require them to access or use information about you. If a service provider needs to access information about you to perform services on our behalf, they do so under close instruction from us, including policies and procedures designed to protect your information.
- BlockScore Partners: We work with third parties who provide consulting, sales, and technical services to deliver and implement customer solutions around the Services. We may share your information with these third parties in connection with their services, such as to assist with billing and collections, to provide localized support, and to provide customizations. We may also share information with these third parties where you have agreed to that sharing.
- With your consent: We share information about you with third parties when you give us consent to do so. For example, we often display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our public websites. With your consent, we may post your name alongside the testimonial.
- Compliance with Enforcement Requests and Applicable Laws; Enforcement of Our Rights: In exceptional circumstances, we may share information about you with a third party if we believe that sharing is reasonably necessary to (a) comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including to meet national security requirements, (b) enforce our agreements, policies and terms of service, (c) protect the security or integrity of our products and services, (d) protect BlockScore, our customers or the public from harm or illegal activities, or (e) respond to an emergency which we believe in good faith requires us to disclose information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person. For more information on how we respond to government requests, see our Guidelines for Law Enforcement and our Transparency Report.
Sharing with affiliated companies
- BlockScore companies: We share information we have about you with other BlockScore corporate affiliates in order to operate and improve products and services and to offer other BlockScore affiliated services to you. This includes companies that own or operate the services listed here.
How we store and secure information we collect
Information storage and security
We use data hosting service providers in the United States and Ireland to host the information we collect, and we use technical measures to secure your data. For more information on where we store your information, please see our Cloud hosting infrastructure page.
While we implement safeguards designed to protect your information, no security system is impenetrable and due to the inherent nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that data, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, is absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
How long we keep information
How long we keep information we collect about you depends on the type of information, as described in further detail below. After such time, we will either delete or anonymize your information or, if this is not possible, we will securely store your information and isolate it from any further use until deletion is possible.
- Account information: We retain your account information for as long as your account is active and a reasonable period thereafter in case you decide to re-activate the Services. We also retain some of your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements, to support business operations, and to continue to develop and improve our Services. Where we retain information for Service improvement and development, we take steps to eliminate information that directly identifies you, and we only use the information to uncover collective insights about the use of our Services, not to specifically analyze personal characteristics about you.
- Information you share on the Services: If your account is deactivated or disabled, some of your information and the content you have provided will remain in order to allow your team members or other users to make full use of the Services. For example, we continue to display messages you sent to the users that received them and continue to display content you provided.
- Managed accounts: If the Services are made available to you through an organization, we retain your information as long as required by the administrator of your account. For more information, see "Managed accounts and administrators" above.
- Marketing information: If you have elected to receive marketing emails from us, we retain information about your marketing preferences for a reasonable period of time from the date you last expressed interest in our Services, such as when you last opened an email from us or ceased using your BlockScore account. We retain information derived from cookies and other tracking technologies for a reasonable period of time from the date such information was created.
How to access and control your information
You have certain choices available to you when it comes to your information. Below is a summary of those choices, how to exercise them and any limitations.
You have the right to request a copy of your information, to object to our use of your information (including for marketing purposes), to request the deletion or restriction of your information, or to request your information in a structured, electronic format. Below, we describe the tools and processes for making these requests. You can exercise some of the choices by logging into the Services and using settings available within the Services or your account. Where the Services are administered for you by an administrator, you may need to contact your administrator to assist with your requests first. For all other requests, you may contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below to request assistance.
Your request and choices may be limited in certain cases: for example, if fulfilling your request would reveal information about another person, or if you ask to delete information which we or your administrator are permitted by law or have compelling legitimate interests to keep.
- Deactivate your account: If you no longer wish to use our Services, you or your administrator may be able to deactivate your account. If you are an administrator and are unable to deactivate an account through your administrator settings, please contact BlockScore support.
- Opt-out of communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by using the unsubscribe link within each email, updating your email preferences within your Service account settings menu, or by contacting us as provided below to have your contact information removed from our promotional email list or registration database. Even after you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive transactional messages from us regarding our Services. You can opt out of some notification messages in your account settings.
- Turn off Cookie Controls: Relevant browser-based cookie controls are described in our Cookies and Tracking Notice.
- Send "Do Not Track" Signals: Some browsers have incorporated "Do Not Track" (DNT) features that can send a signal to the websites you visit indicating you do not wish to be tracked. Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret the DNT signal, our Services do not currently respond to browser DNT signals. You can use the range of other tools we provide to control data collection and use, including the ability to opt out of receiving marketing from us as described above.
- Data portability: Data portability is the ability to obtain some of your information in a format you can move from one service provider to another. Since BlockScore’s service is used for the express purpose of administering your BlockScore account, this portability does not apply and is not supported.
How we transfer information we collect internationally
International transfers of information we collect
We collect information globally and primarily store that information in the United States. We transfer, process and store your information outside of your country of residence, to wherever we or our third-party service providers operate for the purpose of providing you the Services. Whenever we transfer your information, we take steps to protect it.
Other important privacy information
Notice to End Users
Many of our products are intended for use by organizations. Where the Services are made available to you through an employer, that employer is the administrator of the Services and is responsible for the accounts and Service sites over which it has control. If this is the case, please direct your data privacy questions to your administrator, as your use of the Services is subject to that organization's policies. We are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of an administrator's organization, which may be different than this policy.
Administrators are able to:
- require you to reset your account password;
- restrict, suspend or terminate your access to the Services;
- access information in and about your account;
- access or retain information stored as part of your account;
Please contact your organization or refer to your administrator’s organizational policies for more information.
Our policy towards children
The Services are not directed to individuals under 16. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact our support services.
Cookies and Tracking Notice
BlockScore and our third-party partners, such as our advertising and analytics partners, use various technologies to collect information, such as cookies and web beacons.
What types of technologies do we use?
How do we use them?
Where strictly necessary, these cookies and other technologies enable the Services to provide the feature you have requested, such as remembering you have logged in.
For functionality, these cookies and similar technologies remember choices you make such as display or search parameters. We use these cookies to provide you with an experience more appropriate with your selections and to make your use of the Services more tailored.
For performance and analytics, these cookies and similar technologies collect information on how users interact with the Services and enable us to improve how the Services operate. For example, we use Google Analytics cookies to help us understand how visitors arrive at and browse our products and website to identify areas for improvement such as navigation, user experience, and marketing campaigns.
Targeting Cookies or Advertising Cookies collect information about your browsing habits in order to make advertising relevant to you and your interests. They remember the websites you have visited and that information is shared with other parties such as advertising technology service providers and advertisers.
How can you opt-out?
To opt-out of using cookies, you can configure your browser to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from websites you visit. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use all aspects of our Services.
You will not be able to opt-out of any cookies or other technologies that are strictly necessary for the Services to function. If you do not agree to this policy, you can discontinue use of our Services.
Data Processing Amendment (DPA)
For our Data Processing Amendment (DPA) required for GDPR compliance, please see this page.
List of Subprocessors
This is a list of subprocessors who have the potential to process customer data from individuals located in the European Economic Area. Current as of May 22, 2018.
|Third Party Service||Purpose||Entity Country||Website|
|Heroku||Web hosting services||USA||https://www.heroku.com/|
|Amazon Web Services||Web hosting services||USA||https://aws.amazon.com/|
|SearchStax||Search indexing services||USA||https://www.searchstax.com/|
|Mailchimp||Mail delivery services||USA||https://mailchimp.com/|
|Mailgun||Mail delivery services||USA||https://www.mailgun.com/|
|Slack||Internal communication tool||USA||https://slack.com/|
|Box||Document storage tool||USA||https://www.box.com/|
|Asana||Internal task resolution||USA||https://asana.com/|
|Twilio||SMS delivery services||USA||https://www.twilio.com/|
|Google Apps||Email, calendar and file storage services||USA||https://gsuite.google.com/|
|Google Analytics||Website analytics||USA||https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/|
|Helpscout||Customer support services||USA||https://www.helpscout.net/|
Any questions or privacy related complaints can be addressed by e-mail to email@example.com, or by mail to:
340 S Lemon Ave, Suite 4260
Walnut, CA 91789